Networking with New Principals
The Nebraska Council of School Administrators (NCSA) has been providing on-going assistance and resources to first year principals (K-12) in Nebraska for over twenty years through the Networking With New Principals Program. The objectives of this program are to:
- Expand knowledge of leadership skills and instructional leadership practices;
- Promote access to critical information in order to successfully deal with challenging opportunities and responsibilities;
- Create opportunities to discuss educational issues;
- Provide ongoing support and encouragement;
- Provide honest and constructive feedback;
- Facilitate the understanding of research based information and best practice; and
- Assist in building professional networks.
The objectives of this program are met through various activities that include group meetings, individual consultations, regular e-mail communications, blogs, and more. Many of the group activities will be scheduled in conjunction with NCSA or principal affiliate events. This provides the new principal the opportunity to participate in professional development and to minimize time away from the building. Experience suggests that those new principals that actively participate in the program and affiliate activities have been most successful as a first year administrator.
New principals are encouraged to participate in this program and may contact NCSA for more information.